Scallops in Puff Pastry “Jardinière”
Yield: 6 servings
|Box puff pastry, frozen||1/2|
|Small egg yolk||1|
|Butter or margarine||15 mL|
|Carrot cut in strips||50 mL|
|Celery cut in strips||30 mL|
|Zucchini, cut in strips||1/2|
|Red bell pepper cut in strips||50 mL|
|Olive oil||2 mL|
|Small garlic clove||1|
|Dry vermouth||125 mL|
|Fish stock or bouillon||175 mL|
|Whipping cream||30 mL|
|Fresh lemon juice||2 mL|
|Old style grainy mustard||5 mL|
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C)
- Thaw puff pastry. Roll out. Cut into 6 rectangles. Cut a thin strip from edges.
- Criss-cross strips for a motif on top. Whisk egg yolk with a little water and brush over pastry.
- Place on baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Cook 20 to 25 min or until golden.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and sweat vegetables covered over lowheat until tender. Reserve; keeping warm.
- Sauté in butter and olive oil, until slightly opaque no longer all translucent, 3-4 minutes.
- Melt butter over low heat. Add shallots, garlic and cook without browning until tender. Add vermouth; reduce till dry. Sprinkle flour and cook for a few min without coloring. Pour in stock and whisk, cooking until smooth. Add cream, mustard, lemon juice mix well.
- Cut pastry crosswise in half; cover bottom piece with sautéed vegetables, topping with sauce and seared scallops. Cover with the upper part of pastry.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Richard Chiasson