Moroccan Spice Infused Olive Oil Poached Lobster
Yield: 4 servings
|Raw Lobster TCKL Meat||4 (6.5 oz, 185 g)|
|Olive Oil||3 cups (750 ml)|
|Sliced Dried Apricots, packed||¾ cup (180 ml)|
|Ras El Hanout Spice Mix (recipe follows)||1 Tbsp (15 ml)|
|Sliced Dried Apricots, packed||½ cup (125 ml)|
|Red Wine Vinegar||¼ cup (60 ml)|
|Water||¼ cup (60 ml)|
|Granulated Sugar||3 Tbsp (45 ml)|
|Ground Black Pepper||to taste|
|Israeli Couscous||1 cup (250 ml)|
|Chicken Stock||1 cup (250 ml)|
|Orange, zest and juice||1|
|Golden Raisins||3 Tbsp (45 ml)|
|Toasted Slivered Almonds||2 Tbsp (30 ml)|
|Olive Oil||1 Tbsp (15 ml)|
|Cumin||2 tsp (10 ml)|
|Finely Chopped Fresh Marjoram||1 tsp (5 ml)|
|Finely Chopped Fresh Mint||1 tsp (5 ml)|
|Crushed Dried Chilies||to taste|
|Black Pepper||to taste|
Method for Lobster
- Combine olive oil, dried apricots, and spice mix in a saucepan.
- Warm oil to 200° F (95° C) remove from heat and allow the oil mixture to infuse for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Bring the liquid to a poaching temperature of 165° F (75° C).
- Poach the lobster in the liquid until desired doneness beginning with the tail, then the claws, knuckles and finally the legs.
- Please note that the tail will take the longest to cook- in order: place tail, claws, knuckles then legs into the liquid for best results.
- The tail will take approximately 7 minutes to cook, the claws 4 minutes, knuckles 3 minutes and legs 2 minutes to cook.
Method for Compote
- Simmer all ingredients together until majority of liquid has evaporated and reserve.
Method for Couscous
- Sauté shallots, cumin, raisins, and chilies in olive oil until shallots are slightly golden.
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Add couscous and allow to simmer for 3 minutes covered with a lid; remove from heat and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with fork; add herbs and juice/zest of orange.
- Season with salt and pepper and reserve.
Method for Serving
- Place couscous on plate and arrange lobster body as desired.
- Garnish lobster with compote and toasted slivered almonds.
- Serve immediately.
|Ras El Hanout Spice Blend|
|Ground Cumin||1 tsp (5 ml)|
|Ground Ginger||1 tsp (5 ml)|
|Ground Tumeric||1 tsp (5 ml)|
|Salt||1 tsp (5 ml)|
|Ground Cinnamon||¾ tsp (3.7 ml)|
|Ground Black Pepper||¾ tsp (3.7 ml)|
|Ground White Pepper||½ tsp (2.5 ml)|
|Ground Coriander Seed||½ tsp (2.5 ml)|
|Ground Cayenne||½ tsp (2.5 ml)|
|Ground Allspice||½ tsp (2.5 ml)|
|Ground Nutmeg||½ tsp (2.5 ml)|
|Ground Cloves||¼ tsp (1.2 ml)|
- In a small bowl whisk together all ingredients until combined well.
- Spice blend keeps in an airtight container at cool room temperature for 1 month.
Recipe courtesy of Gourmet Chef Packers