Chef Style Mussels
Yield: 4 servings
|Atlantic Canada blue mussels||2 kg|
|Cloves of garlic, minced fine||4|
|Minced ginger||30 mL|
|Shallots, peeled & minced||2|
|Fennel seeds||2 mL|
|Chopped parsley||1 bunch|
|Dry white wine||25 cl|
|Double cream||15 cl|
|Salt and pepper||To taste|
- Quickly rinse mussels under cold running water, do not let soak in water. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, gently cook shallots, ginger, garlic in 30 g of butter until aromatic and soft. Add bay leaves and fennel seeds. Do not color.
- Add mussels and wine. Cover and cook for 5 minutes, gently shaking the pan towards the end of cooking time, to release a few more of the stubborn mussels.
- Remove mussels and keep warm.
- Bring wine and mussel juices to a boil and simmer to reduce liquid by half. Add cream and return to a simmer. Simmer gently for 2 -3 minutes or until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Whisk in remaining butter and herbs. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve sauce in a bowl in the center of the steamed mussels.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Stefan Czapalay