Yield: 2 servings
|Atlantic Canada Lobster OR Snow crab meat, frozen||200 g|
|Minced shallots||15 mL|
|Minced fennel||15 mL|
|Sliced garlic||25 mL|
|Whole butter, unsalted||0.50 cl|
|Dry white wine||25 cl|
|Double cream||25 cl|
|Basic mashed potatoes||5 dl|
|Fresh chopped parsley||10 mL|
|Fresh snipped chives||10 mL|
- Defrost lobster in refrigerator and if necessary drain any liquid. If using snow crab, after defrosting, lightly squeeze out excess moisture. Set aside.
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, gently cook shallots, fennel, and garlic in butter until tender but without coloring.
- Add shellfish and white wine, heating at a very low setting just until warmed through.
- Remove shellfish and fold into mashed potatoes with parsley and chives to make brandade.
- Add a bit of extra salt-free butter and a bit of cooking liquid if necessary to balance consistency.
- Reduce the remaining cooking liquid by half and add the cream. Cook until thick and reduced by about half again. Serve warm over and around Brandade.
Note: To retain all of the natural flavour of Atlantic Canada seafood products, always defrost them in the refrigerator and never rinse them under cold water.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Stefan Czapalay