Oyster, American / Atlantic
Oysters (Crassostrea virginica) from Atlantic Canada
Atlantic Canada has a long history of supplying high quality oysters to the domestic and international market place. This delicacy is now available year round whether the supply originates from a wild seasonal commercial fishery or from cultivated techniques consisting of either suspended, off-bottom or bottom cultures. Whatever the source, the clean cold waters surrounding Atlantic Canada, combined with the stringent requirements of the Canadian Shellfish Sanitation Program provide you with a safe product.
Processors operate under the guidelines of a HACCP based Quality Management Program which guarantees a unique and consistent product. Due to the different conditions associated with each grow-out region – nutrients in the water, salinity levels, temperature, etc. – oysters vary in taste from one area to the next and often bear the name of the region where they were grown as a means of distinguishing their individual flavor attributes. The dealers’ shipping tag which accompanies the product carries the dealer’s name, address and certification number, date and location of harvest, original shipper’s certificate number, type and quantity of oysters and must be kept on file for at least 90 days.
Atlantic Canadian grown oysters are a significant source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are known for their positive effects on health, as well as an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, notably iron and zinc. In fact, 6 oysters provide your full daily requirement of minerals. It makes sense to choose Atlantic Canadian oysters!
One of the industry’s top priorities is to produce and market high quality products. Oysters are cleaned, individually inspected and carefully hand packed. Live oysters are packed in wooden or cardboard containers for shipping.
Oysters are offered in various sizes and categories to suit individual markets. It takes an oyster from 4 to 7 years to reach the market length of 76 mm (3 in) and 3 to 4 years to grow a cocktail size oyster which is usually around 65 mm (2 ½ in).
- Live – fresh “cocktail” oysters, 65 mm or larger
- Live – fresh market size oysters, 76 mm (3 in) or larger
Packed between 12 and 100 oysters per unit or can be processed to your specifications.
Nutritional Analysis per serving (100 g/3.5 oz) raw oyster meat
Energy 59 cal
Fat 1.6 g
Carbohydrates 5.5 g
Protein 8.4 g
Calcium 44 mg
Iron 5.8 mg
Zinc 37.9 mg
Where To Buy
Select your region to display suppliers that will ship to you
- Alliance Seafood Inc.
- Apaqtukewaq Fisheries
- Aqua Delights Seafoods Limited
- Aquashell Holdings Inc.
- Atlantic Quality Shellfish Ltd.
- Atlantic Shellfish Products Inc.
- Badger Bay Mussel Farms Ltd.
- Bay Enterprises Limited
- BMC Seafood Ltd.
- Breakers Fish Co.
- Bumble Bee Seafoods International
- Burleigh Brothers Seafood Ltd.
- Captain Cooke’s Seafood Inc.
- Cascumpec Bay Oyster Company Ltd.
- Colville Bay Oyster Co. Ltd.
- Daisy Bay Oysters (Raspberry Point Oyster Co.)
- Deep Cove Aqua Farms Ltd.
- Dunphy’s Oysters
- Eel Lake Oyster Farm
- Ferme Ostréicole G. Dugas Ltée
- First Catch Fisheries Co. Ltd.
- Fisherman’s Market International Inc.
- Five Star Shellfish Inc.
- Foggy Farms, NS Ltd.
- Future Seafoods Inc.
- High Head Shellfish Growers Ltd.
- Howard’s Cove Shellfish Ltd.
- K & N Fisheries Limited
- Kennie MacWilliams Seafoods Ltd.
- Kildare Fisheries Ltd.
- L. & C. Fisheries Inc.
- La Ferme Ostréicole Chiasson Ltée.
- La Maison BeauSoleil (2010) Inc.
- Les Produits Basque Products
- Leslie Hardy & Sons Ltd.
- Little Shemogue Oyster Company
- Lobster World Inc.
- Louisbourg Seafoods Ltd.
- Lunenburg Shellfish Inc.
- L’Étang Ruisseau Bar Ltée
- MacKinnon’s Lobster Pound Ltd.
- Mike’s Queen Street Meat Market
- Mime’j Seafoods Limited
- Oyster Kings
- Poissonnerie Arseneau Fish Market Ltd.
- Premium Seafoods Limited
- Prince Edward Aqua Farms Inc.
- Red Beard Shellfish Co.
- Rodney’s Oyster Depot
- Sambro Fisheries Limited
- South Shore Trading Co. Ltd.
- World Link Food Distributors Inc.
- Yarmouth Bar Fisheries Limited